Thursday, September 8, 2011

Morning rush + torrential rain + Detroit = Fustercluck

Yeah, yeah at least it's not snow, right? Whatever - I'm still not a fan of the rain. Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to get to Wayne State because of it. As soon as I entered Detroit city limits, traffic just stopped. I ended up walking into class late. Mind you, it normally takes me 24-30 minutes to get to school. So I leave the house 15 minutes early to give me a bit of a buffer (leaving at 8:45 for a 9:30 class). Since it was even rainier this morning than it was yesterday morning, I left the house at 8:30,  a full hour before my class is scheduled to start. This time, traffic ground to a halt in Dearborn - nearly 5 miles outside Detroit city limits. Fabulous. There were a few points at which I seriously thought about parking my car on the shoulder and walking the remaining 10 miles to school. I probably would have gotten there faster than I actually did. It took me AN HOUR to get to campus. Getting to class on time just hasn't been in the cards for me lately. Apparently, only the middle lane of I-94 in Detroit doesn't completely flood when it rains. These are not puddles; you could paddle a kayak through this water.

After class, I decided to walk down Canfield towards Woodward and Cass, gradually making my way to main campus. Shitty day to do it because of the rain, but there were a couple of stores that I've been wanting to check out. I ended up wandering around for an hour and a half. I learned a few things during the course of my trek. One is that there are black squirrels in the parking lot behind The Whitney. Okay, there was one black squirrel, but it was super cute and I was surprised to see ANY squirrels running around down there. Another thing I discovered is that the WSU Barnes & Noble bookstore sucks monkey balls. All I wanted were 3 things: a WSU lanyard for my ID card, a cute shirt for Elliot, and a short checkout line. All they had were the lanyards. Believe it or not, the EMU bookstore at the Student Center is waaaay better in just about every regard. And a third thing that I discovered while walking back to the medical campus is that main campus has power supplied by Consumers Energy, while the med school and half of Midtown is supplied by Detroit Public Lighting. At least the power waited to go out until I didn't need it for class anymore. Would've been nice for traffic though. Some people don't seem to think the 4-way stop rule applies to them.

I need to go eat some ice cream and go to bed. I have an interview with Dr. W after class tomorrow to help me figure out whether I want to do a rotation in his lab. As soon as I'm done with that, I'll be headed over to Eastern for Ashley's defense. And beer. Mmmm, beer. I haven't had any alcohol since the Bio party at Frenchie's. I should be a cheap date :)

No comments:

Post a Comment